Pages

Thursday 12 July 2012

Soundtracks: The lazy-man's mixed tape

Follow Me on Pinterest Is it mixed tape or mix tape? I've always said mixed tape and the urban dictionary concurs, clearly it's never wrong. I loved making mixed tapes growing up and was pretty compulsive about it, but that is for another post. What about the times when you are super lazy and you just want someone to make the mix for you? Soundtracks! Fill your iPod with a bunch of random soundtracks and voila, no shuffle required! It's a beautiful thing.

My last post was about favourite music movies and of course there will be several duplicates on my list. 
The Last Waltz, High Fidelity, Almost Famous, Empire Records, Purple Rain, Grease, The Doors, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Velvet Goldmine, Rocky Horror Picture Show, This is Spinal Tap... I could go on and on.
However, a lot of my faves come from non-music based movies. There is nothing better than watching a movie for the first time and hearing a perfect obscure song, just in the background...yeah, it's the little things. 
Garden State, Juno, Dazed and Confused, The Big Lebowski, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, (500) Days of Summer, Singles, Adventureland, Reality Bites, Pulp Fiction...again, tip of the iceberg my friends. Let's pause a moment and enjoy the delightful wonder that is Zach Braff, The Only Living Boy in New York.




Great movies with great music is one thing, but the topper has to be the diamond in the rough - an amazing soundtrack that comes from a sub-par or just plain craptastic movie. C'mon, so good right?! I'm a big fan of the 'it's so bad it's good' movies, especially when they include cameos by musicians that can't act.  This is the category that I want some serious feedback on. I want to know your hidden gems (comments pretty please)!
Here are some that really stuck with me:
Judgement Night, Spawn, SLC Punk!, Grease 2, Saturday Night Fever, Rock'n'Roll High School, Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park, Detroit Rock City...I know there is a ton more, help me out! Until then, enjoy this little gem :D




We cannot close without giving props to the often forgotten tv show soundtracks, as they've really stepped it up as of late. In my estimation, this is due to HBO (and the like) providing movie-quality television that deserves good music. Even the teen angst shows that most scoffed at (I love them all but again, for another post) had fantastic little indie rock soundtracks. Gen-xers that build the musical landscapes for all of these shows is also a big factor. Damn them all, I should have moved to California when I had the chance. I digress. I want some feedback on this as well, I need more TV soundtrack selections!


Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Californication and (please don't judge until you see the track listings) Gossip Girl, The OC and One Tree Hill. HBO Girls has amazing music and I'm hoping they put out an official soundtrack soon! 


Here's the song from the opening scene of SOA season 4 - Coal War by Joshua James. Sadly there was no clip available, as it opens with Jax and his shaved head...'ain't cuttin' my hair till the good lord comes'. This show has amazing music placement.





Hmm, so many soundtracks, so many categories...again I've barely scratched the surface here, so give me some input. I need to build a lazy-summer 'fill my iPod' kinda soundtrack mix, so let's have it! 


PeaceandLove, Jdub
(one last one, I couldn't resist)








2 comments:

  1. I always liked "The Crow" Soundtrack.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109506/soundtrack

    Another favourite would be "Moonlight Mile" 2002
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179098/soundtrack
    The only problem with this is the CD didn't have all the songs from the movie

    All time classic "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073629/soundtrack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx for these Allison, I had The Crow and Rocky Horror, but I will add 'Moonlight Mile' to my mega-mix! :)

      Delete